Ready-to-Cook Weight Down 4 Percent from Last Year
Poultry certified wholesome during January 2014 (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 3.68 billion pounds, down 4 percent from the amount certified in January 2013. The December 2013 revised certified total at 3.57 billion pounds, was up 7 percent from December 2012. The December revision represented an increase of 11 million pounds from last month's preliminary pounds certified.
The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during January 2014 was 4.88 billion pounds, down 4 percent from 5.09 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.23 billion pounds, down 3 percent from January 2013. Mature chickens, at 69.4 million pounds, were down 7 percent from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 567 million pounds, down 13 percent from a year ago. Ducks totaled 14.8 million pounds, up 2 percent from last year.
Young chickens slaughtered during January 2014 averaged 6.00 pounds per bird, up 1 percent from January 2013. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.46 pounds per bird, up 2 percent from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during January 2014 averaged 31.1 pounds per bird, down 2 percent from January 2013.